We reach out to the community and provide talks, seminars, workshops and tutorials, aimed at parents, educators, and professionals who serve children with special needs.
Our speaker Thomas A. Ahern, will explain how wilderness programs are an exceptional catalyst to help troubled children. These programs provide a transformational process, helping children with low self-esteem, poor school performance, defiance of authority, depression and drug/alcohol abuse issues.
Thomas has a MA and 6th year in Education from the University of Connecticut as well as an Intermediate Administrative Certificate. He has spent the past 25 yrs in Behavioral Health and/or Education including School Psychologist, Private Practitioner, Principal and Director of Adult Education. Mr. Ahern founded and directed several behavioral health community-based partial hospital and clinical day treatment programs, as well as, forging partnerships with both the public and private providers to create more seamless systems of care for youth. Thomas current role with Aspen allows him to provide professional development activities to professionals around therapeutic wilderness programs and therapeutic boarding schools which provide improvements in self-reliance and self-image for troubled children.
- "Warning Signs that Your Child Might Need More Help Than Your School Can Provide", conducted by Jonathan Stern, Ph.D
- "Anatomy of the Neuro-psych Report", conducted by Dr. Peter Plagari
- "Understand the Necessity for a Special Needs Trust", conducted by Stuart Flaum, a renowned financial consultant with personal experience in the world of Special Education
- "Effects of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome on International Adoptions", given by Dr. Boris Gindis
- "The Essentials of Multisensory Orton-Gillingham program", given by Andrea Silvia Esq., Special Education Attorney and Orton-Gillingham Fellow
- "Is It Asperger's or ADD", given by Dr. David Cooperman
- "Special Needs Trusts", given by Stuart Flaum, Financial Consultant.
This years workshops were standing-room-only!
- "Identifying Speech and Language Issues of Mono-and Bi-lingual Children", given by by Dr. Nancy Eng, Ph.D., CCC-SLP